Toxic Foods for Small Dogs


Just a small amount of the wrong food can make your small dog sick. Some of the tastiest foods in your kitchen may be toxic to your canine companion, so it is important to learn which foods to keep out of Fido’s food bowl.

Toxic Vegetables

Some common vegetables are extremely toxic to dogs, sometimes even proving fatal. Onions, garlic and avocados can all make your small canine friend very sick. According to the Pet Poison hotline, even a small amount of these foods can cause anemia, liver failure or kidney failure. While tomatoes and potatoes aren’t toxic for dogs, the stems and leaves are. Be sure to remove any stems or leaves before bringing these veggies in your house to avoid any accidental poisoning.

Toxic Fruits

An apple a day is supposed to keep the doctor away, but not all fruits are good for your pup. Grapes and raisins should never be given as part of a daily diet or a treat. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, even a small amount of grapes or raisins can send a pooch into rapid kidney failure. While most other fruits are safe, it’s important to remove all seeds and pits before letting your little dog have a healthy snack.

Toxic Candy and Gum

Chocolate may be a treat of choice for many folks, but not for dogs. Small dogs only need to eat a few bites to have stomach upset. Larger amounts of chocolate can cause seizures, pancreatitis and in extreme cases, death. Other types of candy and gum containing xylitol, a sugar substitute, can also be very toxic, cause hypoglycemia, liver disease and blood clotting disorders.

Toxic Beverages

Many common beverages can make a pooch very sick. Alcoholic beverages should always be kept out of reach of curious dogs. A small dog only needs a small amount of beer, wine or other beverages to cause alcohol poisoning. Drinks containing caffeine can also make your dog sick, and just a small amount can be fatal for a little dog.

Packaged and Processed Foods

While not often fatal, many packaged and processed foods can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and other general symptoms of illness. Dogs are not designed to eat additives, artificial ingredients and colors, and high levels of sugar and salt. To keep your pet from feeling lousy, keep the packaged and processed foods out of his reach.

Leave a Reply